Coronavirus: Upcoming school break will go ahead in Quebec, education minister says

In Quebec, the upcoming school break week will take place as planned despite the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

Education Minister Jean-François Roberge spoke about the break while fielding questions from reporters Tuesday as sitting elected officials head back to work at the provincial legislature.

Depending on the area, the school break week takes place either the last week of February or the first of March.

Roberge said he was concerned about respecting collective agreements and the academic calendar, thus confirming what Premier François Legault had already announced.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

READ MORE: Air quality concerns among reasons for Quebec teachers’ strike votes

Roberge’s comment comes as suggestions came up recently to cancel the break so as to ensure families won’t use the week off to travel and potentially contribute to the possible spread of the COVID-19.

Story continues below advertisement

Everyone in schools will need the break, Roberge added.

The education minister also said he was confident he could prevent a potential teachers’ strike.

Earlier this week, members of the Centrale des unions du Québec (CSQ) voted 73% in favor of a five-day strike vote.

With files from Global News’ Kalina Laframboise


Click to play video 'Your Mental Health: Helping students feeling the pressure amidst a COVID-19 pandemic'







Your Mental Health: Helping students feeling the pressure amidst a COVID-19 pandemic


Your Mental Health: Helping students feeling the pressure amidst a COVID-19 pandemic – Nov 5, 2020





© 2021 The Canadian Press


About admin

Check Also

Click to play video

COVID Cooking: A shift for entrepreneurs in Winnipeg for more at-home meals – Winnipeg

From pandemic baking to specialty coffees, Manitoban’s have been cooking and experimenting with foods …